So today I had a lot of left over apples from last week which weren’t the best to eat as they had lost their crunchiness. I didn’t want to waste them so I thought I would make a fool proof apple strudel!
- 5x apples, peeled, quartered, cored, sliced
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- 1/4 cup sultanas (optional)
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 60g butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla custard, to serve
- Cut apples into small pieces and add them to a pot on high heat
- Add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon with approximately 2table spoon of water
- Cover the pot with a lid
- Stir for about 10minutes or until the apples are soft
- Remove lid (add sultanas if you want) and continue to cook until the water has evaporated
- Once apples have cooked, place aside to cook.
- Combine the rest of the sugar and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Get some baking paper and place 1 sheet of pastry on the paper
- Brush pastry with melted butter and sprinkle abit of sugar on top for an even coat.
- Put another pastry and brush again with butter then sugar. Repeat this until 4 layers are created.
- Scoop the apple mixture into the middle of the pastry
- Fold the ends of the pastry to enclose the filling
- Either oil spray or line a baking tray and transfer the strudel seam side down
- Brush the top with left over butter and sprinkle some sugar on top
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35minutes or until golden
- Once finished set aside for about 5minutes and serve with custard
And that’s how you get rid of some apples that aren’t as yummy as they use to be 😛 ENJOY